The smoky eye was everywhere on Spring 2012 runways, so the Stylebook team was psyched when we were invited to learn how to get the look from Chanel Product Specialist Lois Voight at the Neiman Marcus Beauty School preview. Lois has 25 years of experience and below are some of her best tips for creating the perfect smoky eye.
- Do Your Eyes First – Do your eyes first and the rest of your face afterwards. Otherwise, any residue from doing your eye shadow tends to fall onto your face and then you have to clean it and reapply your concealer.
- Use a Hand Mirror – Hold your mirror down with your chin up and look in the mirror. Don’t look straight into the mirror – you’ll never put your make-up on properly like that.
- Eye Shadow Base – You always want to put an eyeshadow base on your eye lid to make your eyeshadow stay on. Never put your eye shadow on with foundation or powder – you need an eyeshadow base to mattify the lid. And of course, always use a brush – never your fingers! Go from the lash line all of the up to the brow bone
- Deep Gray – Gently press the shadow (Chanel Les 4 Ombres Quadra Eye Shadow in Smoky Eye) half way up the lid. It’s key to press the eyeshadow rather than dust it. Make sure you press two times, so the eyeshadow stays on the lid. Wherever you put the brush is where you will get the most pigment, so be sure to start at the center of the lid.
- Shimmery Grey – Gently press this second shadow half way up the lid
- Dark Matte – Once again, press this third shadow twice half way up the lid
- Blend – Use a crease brush to blend the shadow.
- Powder – Using a brush, place press powder in the crease to prevent your eyeshadow from running up. You can use any powder, as long as it’s translucent.
- Highlight – Use a brush to apply a highlight under the brow bone with the lightest shade of shadow.
- Waterproof Eyeliner – Line the upper lid at the lash line with Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproof in Ébène, which is really dark black. This pencil can only be removed with eye makeup remover, so it won’t run.
- Clean Up – Clean up under the eye with eye makeup remover to remove excess shadow
- Bottom Liner – Line the bottom as close to the lash line as you can and then line just inside the lash line.
- Smoke It Out – Take a little smudgy brush and dip it into your dark color and smoke out the bottom liner
- Lashes – Always use lash primer first before you apply mascara. It helps the mascara look thicker and stay on longer. When you apply your mascara, coat both sides of the lashes. Coat down first and then squiggle up.
- Concealer – Apply concealer under the eye with a brush and you’re done!
What You’ll Need
- Chanel Les 4 Ombres Quadra Eye Shadow in Smoky Eye
- Chanel Stylo Yeux Waterproof in Ébène
- Chanel Inimitable Mascara Volume Length Curl Separation
- Chanel Beaute Des Cils Nourishing Mascara Base
- Clinique Touch Base For Eyes
- NARS Eye Makeup Remover
- Trish McEvoy Translucent Finishing Powder
- Hand Mirror
- Makeup Brushes
Class is in Session!
- If you live in the New York area and want to attend one of the 24 Neiman Marcus Beauty School classes for yourself, just call the Beauty Counter at Neiman Marcus Paramus to make an appointment between Feb. 23rd and March 4th! (201.291.1920)
- Don’t forget to ask about the more than 50 other giveaways that are free with the purchase of specific merchandise like the Bobbi Brown set seen below. Ask for a Beauty Event brochure for details and qualifications.