Laying a solid foundation for your wardrobe will help you mix and match your pieces easily and get more out of what you have. The classic advice is to buy items like a good cashmere sweater, a pencil skirt, and a nice pair of trousers but I’ve longed for an updated list of basics that fit my life. Stylist Catherine Sheppard used her feminine and contemporary eye to share what every woman should have in their closet, what you can wear now and later in the fall, and short cuts for updating your wardrobe.
I often see articles on the basic items every women should have in their closet (like this). What would be on your list of the top 15 items that make a killer wardrobe?
- - A great leather jacket
- - Chunky watch in your favorite metal
- - A basic little black dress in whatever style reflects you best
- - Plain pumps – black if you have dark hair, nude if you have light hair
- - Everyday carry-all handbag
- - A pair of Converse
- - A classic blazer in a modern, flattering cut
- - Chambray shirt
- - Something sequined (anything)
- - Cutoff shorts
- - A fit-like-a-glove pair of skinny jeans
- - Flat boots in your favorite style
- - Statement necklace
- - Metal bracelets that you can mix and match
- - Metallic clutch
Certain kinds of items can easily work their way into many outfits. In your opinion what should be your most versatile clothing piece?
Definitely your handbag. This is something that you may only switch out every so often so it’s Read More