Lindsey Griffin, of Posh & Poised, has a great eye for fashionable work outfits that incorporate color, prints and youthful shapes – yet are right at home in any corporate environment. I’ve long admired women who can put together these kinds of looks (like Kerry Washington, Norah O’Donnell, or Michelle Obama) but now I won’t need to spend so much time scouring the web for celebrity photos, since Lindsey has shared a few of her secrets to looking chic and work-appropriate. She explains how to pull off prints, what colors are good for the office, how to inject a little personality into your looks, and how to put together the perfect work outfit when you’re low on time.
by Jess Atkins
SB: Which 10 pieces does every woman need in their basic office wardrobe?
- Silk Blouse - This classic staple goes with anything and everything. When I look back at my favorite outfits, they all started with a gorgeous silk blouse.
- Classic Blazer - A tailored blazer is a timeless professional piece that will never go out of style. I wear mine whenever I need to be at the top of my game.
- Power Pencil Skirt - A pencil skirt is the trademark of a professional woman’s wardrobe. It achieves a sharp yet stylish look and is incredibly versatile.
- Wool Trousers - Different lengths, styles, and fits will come and go, but a pair of tailored wool trousers will stand the test of time.
- Statement Necklace - A statement necklace will take your basic work outfit up a notch.
- Black Pumps - I suggest investing in a high-quality pair that is comfortable and will last you for years.
- Carry-all Tote - Every working woman needs an oversized, neutral tote that you can throw your work life into and still look chic.
- Sheath Dress - A sheath dress is another classic option that works in any setting and is super easy to style.
- Oversized Watch - An everyday, oversized watch throws a menswear element into your look. I never leave home without mine.
- Clutch - You can take your work outfit from day to night for a happy hour or dinner meeting by simply trading your tote out for a chic clutch.
SB: What kind of heels can add personality to an office look without looking too sexy?
L: Never underestimate the power of your shoe choice! Shoes are a great and easy way to express yourself fashion-wise at work. I am currently loving ankle-strap heels as a sassy but still sophisticated option. The ankle strap adds a little personality to the shoe and also makes the heel more Read More
The men in my life often ask me how to buy good-looking clothes without putting spending hours at the mall. Since I can’t understand why anyone wouldn’t want to go shopping, I normally don’t have any good advice for them. Well, that was until heard about Trunk Club – an online personal styling and shopping service. They select merchandise based on a survey about your taste and then the clothes are shipped directly to you. You can try everything on at home with your existing wardrobe and decide what to keep with no pressure. Michael Barkin, Head of Sales at Trunk Club, gave us advice on how to start a great wardrobe!
by Jessica Moore
SB: What are the ten basic pieces every guy needs in their wardrobe and why?
- Navy Blazer – the single most important piece of clothing in a man’s wardrobe. Infinitely versatile with jeans, cotton pants and slacks alike.
- Crisp white dress shirt – Because there’s no better shirt to wear under a suit, blazer or any other Read More
Creating an appealing, organized and functional space for your wardrobe doesn’t require the budget for custom built-ins. This guide will help you save space and display everything you own so it actually gets used. The best part? The grand total for everything will be less than $250!
You’ll be much happier when you get dressed if everything in front of you is something you’ll actually wear. Your old sweatshirts and the ugly bridesmaid dresses you convinced yourself you’d wear again definitely don’t belong in your new fabulous closet – get rid of them!
2. Make Your Foldable Clothes Easily Accessible
What You Need:
The folding board will help you make neat, even stacks of sweaters. The clear drawers make it easy to see what each drawer contains. Keeping everything visible makes it less likely that clothes that are on Read More
After cleaning out my jewelry box, I noticed that I only own two pieces of fine jewelry – my engagement ring and a necklace my fiancé gave to me as a gift. I decided it was time I start a grown-up jewelry collection. When Becca, a former associate accessories editor at Lucky Magazine, told me about her new career in the jewelry business, I had to know more: what should I buy, and how do I get away with wearing fine jewelry everyday without looking like I’m trying too hard.
SB: How should I use jewelry to make a basic outfit look more interesting?
B: When in doubt, adorn yourself! A little bit of sparkle makes even a paper bag more interesting. Pick one focal point, either your necklace, earrings, or bracelet, so as not to completely overpower the Read More
For me, the perfect wardrobe is full of multipurpose items that can be easily mixed and matched. Audrey Tom of Putting Me Together has mastered the art of reimagining – or remixing – pieces in her closet, resulting in a versatile and fabulous wardrobe. The best part is that she has moved beyond bland neutrals and has successfully integrated colors and patterns without ending up with a closet full of one-hit wonders. We picked her brain to find out how she buys clothes that can be remixed with the rest of her closet, and how she puts outfits together.
SB: What is the most versatile item in your wardrobe?
A: Oh, this is a hard one! I think it’d either have to be my mustard cardigan or my floral tank. Those two pieces go with nearly anything!
SB: What’s your starting point when you’re building an outfit?
A: I usually start with the bottom half. I naturally tend to stick with skinny jeans and a cute top, so in an attempt to vary my outfits I now start with the bottom half so that I’m not always defaulting to regular old jeans.
SB: What’s your favorite base outfit and how do you give it more character?
A: My favorite is a cute top and jeans, and I usually change it up with different colored blazers, Read More
Nostalgia has always kept me throwing away old clothes, even when I know they’re past their prime. And even though I know it’s irrational to hang on to old t-shirts from my stint as a cheerleader in high school, until recently I had trouble letting go. My problems were solved when I came across an amazing chart created by Katie Anderson that’s seriously the best method for editing down any wardrobe. I sat down with her to chat about how to remove unnecessary items from my closet.
SB: You made an amazing graphic on how to edit your wardrobe. What are some of the benefits of periodically purging your closet?
K: Regularly purging your closet not only simplifies your dressing routine, but will also contribute to looking and feeling better about yourself. Getting rid of clothes that don’t fit or flatter, are outdated, or Read More
It’s the time of year when our mailboxes fill up with invitations to all kinds of holiday and New Year’s Eve parties…office parties, house parties, cocktail parties. It’s exciting – but sometimes challenging – to find the perfect dress. Christa, from made-to-order dressmakers Bow & Drape, sat down to explain how to pick the right dress for your body and how to deal with winter weather without sacrificing your style.
SB: What dress shapes are best according to body type?
- Hourglass - The Jackie is perfect for an hourglass shape. The silhouette is designed to accentuate curves.
- Pear - The Michelle Swing is beautiful on a pear shape figure. The combination of the full skirt and the fitted top is an interesting contrast.
- Apple - The Twiggy is well-suited and flattering for apple figures. This 60′s-inspired shift dress is a simple and chic look.
- Petite - All our silhouettes have the option to select hem length. For a petite shape, any design with a mini or knee length hem will be ideal.
- Tall - The Diane Maxi is stunning on a tall figure.
sketches of some of the dress styles Bow & Drape offers
SB: What little black dress can I wear to fancy cocktail parties but also to more casual holiday parties? How should I accessorize in both situations?
C: The black Twiggy with a scallop hem and brass beading is a versatile and classic look. For a fancy cocktail party, I would accessorize with a statement necklace and bright colored heels. For a more casual look, I would accessorize with black tights and jewel-toned flats.
SB: How do I pick the proper skirt length for my body?
C: A good rule of thumb when choosing the hem length on a skirt is where the skirt falls around your Read More
Keeping your closet organized and clutter-free is easier than you think. Interior and organizational expert Arianna Vargas gave us some tips to help improve even the tiniest city closet on a small budget.
SB: What’s the first thing I should do when starting to organize my closet?
A: Declutter – which basically means edit, edit, edit. Get rid of all the items that no longer suit your style, don’t fit properly, have stains or are too worn out - generally anything you don’t feel good in. Getting rid of all the clutter will free up valuable space and allow the items you do wear and love room to breathe.
SB: I love a walk-in closet just as much as the next girl, but in the city that’s often not an option. What are some space-saving closet storage tips?
A: In small spaces, maximize vertical space as much as possible. Install shelves and keep out-of-season or less frequently worn items up top. Use hooks on any available wall space for handbags, belts and necklaces. For shoes, try an over-the-door rack.
SB: I often can’t see the forest for the trees when it comes to accessories. Any tips on how to keep small items neatly organized and visible?
A: A hanging organizer with clear pockets like this one is great for separating small items and allowing Read More
We’re excited to welcome our latest guest blogger for Style Expert! ShoeDazzle stylist Anya Sarre regularly appears on Entertainment Tonight, The Insider, and the STYLE network, and styles alongside celebrities like Kim Kardashian. She shared with us her secrets on how to update your wardrobe and rock your latest fall purchases.
Fashion is a way that we express our personality to the world. The clothing we wear is often a reflection of who we are and how we want others to see us. It is a form of expression that enhances our appearance. The most important thing about clothing and fashion is that whatever we wear, we do it with confidence and comfort. If you wear something that fits your style and feels comfortable, you will look beautiful no matter what brand or designer it is.
Not all fashion trends will suit everyone’s body and personality but confidence is an accessory that everyone should carry with them, regardless of what they are wearing.
- Spice Up Your Daily Routine -
- Shoes with a small wedge and boots with a mid heel can give you extra height for casual looks.
- This season’s cap-toe stilettos and wedge boots will look good for nights out. Curvy girls should look for clothes that will showcase their enviable curves. Dare to take advantage of your fashion sense and display yourself and your style.
- Try pairing colored denim with a ballerina flat or a maxi skirt with thin sweater this fall for the perfect seasonal look with a fraction of the headache.
- A Trendy Pair of Flats - You want to have a nice pair of flats for days when you will be doing a lot of walking. This fall season, it is all about embellishment. You can purchase ballerina flats with sequins, studs, or beads. Cap-toe ballerina flats or pointy flats are also a huge trend. Another shoe making a comeback is the slipper, also in a variety of materials, patterns, and of course, embellishments.
Ankle strap cap=toe flats with stud detail – ShoeDazzle
- Colored Skinny Jeans- The uniform for summer was sorbet-colored skinny jeans; this fall, colored jeans are still a big hit. Choose a pair in the fall tone that best suits your Read More
In the morning, I usually read my bloglovin’ feed while sipping a cup of tea and I’m amazed that so many bloggers are able to post creative outfits nearly every day. Do they have bottomless closets or are they some how able to figure out how to reuse key pieces over and over? We asked Alicia of Cheetah is the New Black to tell us about the go-to pieces that make her wardrobe go the distance.
portrait courtesy of Cheetah is the New Black
SB: What are the top five clothing pieces your closet wouldn’t be complete without?
A: 1) Leather Jacket 2) Pants 3) Boyfriend Jeans 4) Leopard Print Heels 5) Silk Blouse
SB: What are the most useful wardrobe basics you own?
A: Classic white and grey t-shirts (Old Navy sells my favorite tee’s at an unbeatable price point) and a great fitting pair of jeans.
t-shirts – Old Navy, outfit photos courtesy of Cheetah is the New Black
SB: How do you use them?
A: I like to pair dressier separates (e.g. skirts and pants) with a simple tee, or my boyfriend jeans with Read More